The Zimbabwean novelist and Ethiopian-American author are on the list of 13 contenders for the prestigious prize this year. Their novels, ‘This Mournable Body’ and ‘The Shadow King’, were selected from 162 novels by a five-panel judge.
Mengiste took to Twitter to celebrate the news, writing: “I heard some noise. I am speechless. This list with these other writers: @blgtylr @kileyreid @efie41209591…This whole list is on fire. (I’m not crying, you’re crying).”
I heard some noise.
— Maaza Mengiste (@MaazaMengiste) July 28, 2020
According to The Booker Prize, the shortlist of six books will be announced on Tuesday, 15 September. While the 2020 winner will be announced in November.
The winner of the 2020 Booker Prize receives £50,000 and can expect international recognition. The shortlisted authors each receive £2,500 and a specially bound edition of their book.
See the full list of longlisted authors below:
- Diane Cook for ‘The New Wilderness’
- Avni Doshi for ‘Burnt Sugar’
- Gabriel Krause for ‘Who They Was’
- Hilary Mantel for ‘The Mirror & The Light’
- Colum McCann for ‘Apeirogon’
- Kiley Reid for ‘Such a Fun Age’
- Brandon Taylor for ‘Real Life’
- Anne Tyler for ‘Redhead by The Side of The Road’
- Douglas Stuart for ‘Shuggie Bain’
- Sophie Ward for ‘Love and Other Thought Experiments’
- C Pam Zhang for ‘How Much of These Hills is Gold’