In the late hours of Wednesday, 22 July, reports began to surface that Hushpuppi had been released. An accompanying search on the Bureau of Prison’s website showed that he is no longer in Chicago.
Nigerians took that to mean that Hushpuppi, who allegedly defrauded over 1.9 million people was released from the prison in Chicago.
Following the news, Nigerians took to social media to react to this extraordinary news. After all, Hushpuppi allegedly stole $435.6 million alongside his accomplices.
Now, his lawyer is saying that Hushpuppi has in fact not been released, merely transferred to California to face trial. He also pointed out that he is still representing Hushpuppi, saying:
“He is on his way to California, United States of America, for trial,” Pissetzky told PUNCH. “He has not been released and I am still his lawyer. He is on his way to California. Not everything you see on court documents is accurate.
“Just because the jail record says ‘released’ does not mean he has been released. He is being transferred to California.”