City and Bournemouth had opened talks over the Dutch centre-back before the end of the Premier League season, but confirmation of Bournemouth’s relegation to the Championship on Sunday all but confirmed that the 25-year-old would depart this summer.
Ake left Chelsea to join Bournemouth for a club-record fee of £20m in 2017 and had been linked with a return to Stamford Bridge, but City appears to be in pole position to sign the defender.
City has also been linked with several centre-backs since the departure of Vincent Kompany at the end of the 2018-19 season. They missed out to rivals United on Harry Maguire last summer and have consistently been linked with Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly.
Ake featured 29 times in the Premier League this season for Bournemouth but his side couldn’t avoid relegation, finishing a point from safety in 18th place.
The fee, which would be a club-record sale for Bournemouth, would see them receive £40m upfront, with a further £1m to come in add-ons.
Guardiola was asked about the potential signing of Ake in the January transfer window, at which point he ruled out a move but hinted that he would revisit the situation this summer.
“We don’t speak about that,” he said in answer to a question about the Dutchman. “We’re going to finish this season with the players that we started with. If something’s going to happen, it will be in the summertime.”
Manchester City close to settling the deal for Valencia’s winger, Ferran Torres
Manchester City are in talks with Valencia over the signing of winger Ferran Torres for 23m euros (£20.87m). He would be a replacing Germany forward Leroy Sane, who has left the Premier League club for Bundesliga champions, Bayern Munich.
Torres, who has a year left on his contract with the La Liga club, had been valued at £40m by Valencia.
Reports suggest the 20-year-old Spaniard is keen on a move to Etihad Stadium.
He is considered one of Spain’s brightest young prospects but Valencia have needed to sell some players to balance their books even before the financial impact of coronavirus.
Torres made his senior debut as a teenager during the 2017-18 season, going on to make 13 appearances in total that term. The following season he scored three times in 37 games in all competitions.
City director of football Txiki Begiristain has said he is expecting a “strange” transfer window given the campaign will not end completely until the end of August, with the new one starting three weeks later on 12 September.
“We have to be ready,” he tells City’s official website. “We have less time than ever, so people will have to move fast. We still have the Champions League, so we have to wait to move forward.”
Begiristain also said it was possible City will play a friendly behind closed doors this weekend to prepare for the Champions League last-16 second leg against Real Madrid on 7 August.