Karen Fukuhara is an American actress of Japanese descent, born and raised in Los Angeles, who made a name for herself in Hollywood following earlier doubts in her chosen profession.
Karen wanted to become an actress from childhood, but she wasn’t so sure it would happen. Hollywood seemed very vague to her and her parents. They were immigrants who didn’t know how the industry worked or have the means to contact anyone of repute.
Eventually, she got her moment and went on to feature in the 2016 superhero film “Suicide Squad”, where she starred as Tatsu Yamashiro / Katana. She’s also been a part of the Amazon Prime original series “The Boys” (2019–present), playing the superhero Kimiko Miyashiro.
Karen Fukuhara, during an interview with Variety, also revealed that she would have gone into interior designing if she didn’t eventually cut it as an actress. There are many interesting things to find out about Karen Fukuhara but let’s see some facts before diving into her life proper.
10 interesting need to know facts about Karen Fukuhara
- Karen Fukuhara was born to Japanese immigrant parents on 10 February 1992 in Los Angeles, California.
- She and her kid brother were raised in Los Angeles in a Japanese home and with Japanese values.
- She started attending karate classes in middle school and ended up competing in the worldwide championships and getting a brown striped belt before going off to college.
- She attended the University of California (UCLA), Los Angeles, and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and a minor in Theater in 2014.
- Before her big break, Karen worked many odd jobs including, language translator, subtitle editor, and waitress at a reggae-themed sushi restaurant.
- She finally got her on-screen debut in 2016’s Suicide Squad and completed the sword mastery in just two months for the role.
- Karen Fukuhara also used to be part of a band called the Cappella group.
- Karen has been dating fashion photographer Keith Tio, who works with famous brands and doubles as a model, since 2018.
- Karen’s first job in Hollywood was as a host on Movie Surfers, a Disney Channel mini where hosts usually teenagers go behind the scenes of Disney-related films.
- Karen Fukuhara still lives with her parents.
Early life and family
Karen Fukuhara was born on 10 February 1992 in Los Angeles, California, the United States of America, to Japanese parents who were immigrants. She was raised in Los Angeles as well in a Japanese home and with Japanese values. Karen’s first language was Japanese, and she grew up with Japanese TV, food, etc.
Karen also attended Japanese language school on Saturdays, and this continued for 11 years. She has a younger brother whom she occasionally babysits whenever their parent wasn’t around. Her brother attended karate classes, and Karen also took an interest when she was in middle school and on babysitting duties. Karen ended up being more immersed in karate than her kid brother, competing in the worldwide championships and getting a brown striped belt before going off to college.
She went on to attend the University of California (UCLA), Los Angeles, and she majored in Sociology. Karen graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and a minor in Theater from UCLA in 2014.
Karen is most famous for her role on Amazon Prime original series “The Boys”, but she’s been on other interesting projects including, “Suicide Squad” (2016). But, despite acting being a lifelong dream, she never really thought she would make it.
Her journey into the entertainment world started in middle school when she was cast as a host for Movie Surfers, a short form entertainment news program on the Disney Channel.
Movie Surfers allowed teenagers of different nationalities to interview celebs for the show as they went behind the scenes on Disney movies and TV shows. Karen Fukuhara had to interview Keira Knightley and Johnny Depp for Pirates of the Caribbean on her first assignment. She later told Women’s Wear Daily, “If I could do it over, I’d actually listen to their answers, but I was so nervous.”
Fukuhara secured another gig after Movie Surfers, reporting for Japanese station NHK, which helped her pay for college. And during college, Karen claims her mother suggested acting to her, but she was too scared to pursue the path. She went to the university instead, and joined an a cappella group, of which Disney princess Kelly Marie Tran was also a member. Then one day, she made her resolve and decided to really pursue her dream of acting.
Karen worked various part-time jobs, including as a translator, subtitle editor, and waitress at a reggae-themed sushi restaurant right before making her acting debut. She got a call that she landed the “Suicide Squad” role while still doing her translation job, this time translating for a Japanese model.
Karen Fukuhara said, “At the time, I didn’t know how big the role was, but I remember I was just excited to book a role.” She went on to star as Tatsu Yamashiro, alias Katana, in the 2016 DC film. She also bagged roles as the voice of characters in animations before eventually tagging along for the “The Boys” television series.
Kimiko The Boys
Karen Fukuhara played the character Kimiko Miyashiro on the TV series “The Boys”, and despite the role being initially critiqued for conforming to the stereotype of the Asian woman being quiet, Fukuhara begs to differ.
The Amazon Prime series is based on a comic book of the same name, and Fukuhara believes her character on screen is well represented as opposed to the character in the comic series. According to CivilianMag, Karen argued, “My character, The Female, who is mainly used as a weapon in the comics, is given a real name, Kimiko, and a key backstory that catapults The Boys’ action in Season One. With the events that follow in Season Two, she shows her vulnerability and breaks the stoic Asian stereotype.”
The show, The Boys, has gotten 5 Emmy nominations in 2021, and was nominated once the previous year.
The Boys is an American superhero television series that follows the critically acclaimed team of vigilantes as they combat superpowered individuals who abuse their abilities.
She-ra voice actors
“She-Ra and the Princesses of Power” is an American animated television series that received critical acclaim, with particular praise for its diverse cast. The She-ra voice actors cast and the characters they portrayed includes:
- Aimee Carrero as Adora / She-Ra
- LaLa Nestor as young Adora
- AJ Michalka as Catra
- Juliet Donenfeld as young Catra
- Karen Fukuhara as Glimmer, Princess of Bright Moon
- Marcus Scribner as Bow
- Reshma Shetty as Angella, Queen of Bright Moon
- Lorraine Toussaint as Shadow Weaver
- Keston John as Hordak, Horde Prime, Grizzlor, Admiral Scurvy, Wrong Hordak, Horde
- Sergeant, Horde clones
- Lauren Ash as Scorpia
- Christine Woods as Entrapta, Princess of Dryl
- Genesis Rodriguez as Perfuma, Princess of Plumeria
- Jordan Fisher as Sea Hawk, Seneschal, and Soda Pop
- Vella Lovell as Mermista, Princess of Salineas
- Merit Leighton as Frosta, Princess of the Kingdom of Snows
- Sandra Oh as Castaspella
- Krystal Joy Brown as Netossa, rebel princess
- Noelle Stevenson as Spinnerella, rebel princess, and Serenia
- Morla Gorrondona as Light Hope
- Grey Griffin as Razz
- Adam Ray as Swift Wind
- Geena Davis as Huntara
- Zehra Fazal as Mara
- Chris Jai Alex as George, one of Bow’s fathers
- Regi Davis as Lance, one of Bow’s fathers
- Dana Davis as Lonnie
- Antony Del Rio as Kyle
- Daniel Dae Kim as Micah, King of Bright Moon
- Taylor Gray as young Micah
- Jake Eberle as Norwyn and Tung Lashor
- Jacob Tobia as Double Trouble
- Amanda C. Miller as Flutterina
- Amy Landecker as Octavia
- Alex Blue Davis as Jewelstar
- Ashley Eckstein as Tallstar
- Melissa Fumero as Starla
- John Lavelle as Peekablue
Karen Fukuhara Katana
View this post on Instagram
Karen Fukuhara made her debut on screen as Katana, also known as Tatsu Yamashiro, in the 2016 DC film “Suicide Squad”. Katana is a powerful and independent warrior who shares a connection with her sword (Soultaker) and her husband, who is trapped within it. Despite a dark past, she continues to bring the world justice. Karen was really excited to be playing the role saying she look up to strong women like that.
Being someone who is extremely private about personal matters, Karen Fukuhara revealed to the world that her heart has been given to fashion photographer Keith Tio, who works with famous brands and doubles as a model as well. The duo has been seen spending some quality time together over the years, and have been together since 2018.
They also share beautiful memories with each other and with their fans on their social media.
View this post on Instagram
Karen Fukuhara body
Karen has a very petite type body. She is about 5 ft 2 tall, according to several sources. She also has dark brown eyes and long hair. Due to several years of martial arts training and time at the gym, the actress has an athletic body. She really takes care of her body, and it is no wonder that people are interested in getting an eyeful of it.
Karen Fukuhara has an estimated net worth of $1 million, accumulated mostly from her time as an actress to date.
Karen Fukuhara, despite wanting to become an actress from a very young age, at some point felt she could not attain such a dream. However, she never stopped dreaming and working towards her goal. In the end, she’s secured a pathway for many like her to be represented on the grandest stage of all. She’s also worked hard to ensure that the misrepresentation of Asian women on TV has reduced.
You may also like one of our latest articles, Alex Zedra Biography: Call of Duty Modern Warfare gamer, age, boyfriend, net worth.