Martie Allen is an American TV personality, famous for her relationship with actress Kristy McNichol. Not much is known about Allen prior to her partner revealing the details of their relationship, but since then, media attention has brought her into the limelight.
However, Martie Allen and her partner have also taken significant steps back from the spotlight to live a regular life away from the public eye. In turn, her career seemed to never really take off and it appears that she stopped pursuing acting actively at some point. Here, we take a look at some of the facts we were able to scrape together about her and McNichol.
Top ten important facts about Martie Allen
- Martie Allen was born on 1 January 1960 to American parents and she will turn 61 on her birthday in 2021.
- She started pursuing a career in acting after college in her early twenties but never managed to break into mainstream Hollywood prominence.
- In 2012, actress Kristy McNichol officially came out as a lesbian, and she mentioned that she has been in a longtime relationship with Allen.
- McNichol was born Christina Ann McNichol on 11 September 1962 and she was a teen star with a career spanning 25 years.
- McNichol won two Emmy Awards for playing teenage daughter Letitia “Buddy” Lawrence in the 1976 to 1980 TV drama “Family”.
- As a teen star, she appeared in talk shows such as “The Mike Douglas Show” and “Dinah!”, and made several appearances on “Battle of the Network Stars”.
- At one time, she was notably the highest-earning teenager for appearing in the 1981 musical drama film “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia” alongside Dennis Quaid and Mark Hamill, getting paid a six-figure salary for this role.
- McNichol was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 1995 and had suffered an emotional breakdown while filming a comedy-drama “Just the Way You Are” in 1983.
- Despite same-sex marriage being legal now in the US, McNichol and Allen are not listed as officially being married.
- Allen and her partner are retired and regularly volunteer for community charity work.
Early life and education
Martie Allen was born on 1 January 1960 to American parents. She has never revealed the city was born in nor the names of her parents. We also do not know if she has any living siblings. This makes it difficult to give detailed background information about her.
Nevertheless, she earned a Bachelor’s Degree after high school and started a career in acting in her early twenties.
Allen began seeking a breakthrough in the film and television industry after college. As a local blog commented, she failed to achieve prominence. No doubt, she got some roles in films as either an uncredited extra or small screen time on TV shows.
We found no mention of a film or show that cast Martie Allen. It was not until 2012 that the media even found her interesting enough to be mentioned. How did Allen become famous?
Kristy McNichol officially came out as a lesbian in January 2012. She revealed that she had been living with Martie Allen, as her romantic partner, since the early 1990s. McNichol shared a photo of herself with Allen at a dinner.
According to her publicist Jeff Ballard’s statement to PEOPLE Magazine, the retired actress claimed to be ‘very sad’ about queer kids being bullied. “She hopes that coming out can help kids who need support. She would like to help others who feel different,” Ballard said.
Who is Martie Allen partner Kristy McNichol and what do you need to know about her?
She was born Christina Ann McNichol on 11 September 1962 in Los Angeles, California. Her parents were James and Carolyn McNichol, and she has an older brother named James McNichol; they both recorded an album in 1978 and also hosted a youth-oriented variety show for ABC.
As a teen star, she appeared in talk shows such as “The Mike Douglas Show” and “Dinah!”, and made several appearances on “Battle of the Network Stars” and other celebrity-based sports shows.
Kristy’s groundbreaking performance as teenage daughter Letitia “Buddy” Lawrence in the 1976 to 1980 TV drama “Family” earned her two Emmy Awards and catapulted her to mainstream fame. She is also well-known for playing Angel in the 1980 film “Little Darlings”, Polly in the 1981 film “Only When I Laugh”, and Barbara Weston in the 1988 to 1995 TV sitcom “Empty Nest”, a spin-off of “The Golden Girls”.
At one time, she was notably the highest-earning teenager for appearing in the 1981 musical drama film “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia” alongside Dennis Quaid and Mark Hamill. According to her Wikipedia page, McNichol allegedly got a six-figure salary for this role.
After her role in “Empty Nest”, the actress stopped appearing on screen. However, she voiced characters in the animated TV series “Extreme Ghostbusters” (1997) and “Invasion America” (1998).
McNichol was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 1995 and had suffered an emotional breakdown while filming a comedy-drama “Just the Way You Are” in 1983. In June 2001, she announced that she was retiring from acting.
There were media speculations about her sexuality long before she announced that she is a lesbian. In 1997 after actress Elisabeth Brooks died, reports claimed that she was McNichol’s lover. She finally came out in 2012, confirming the rumours and putting speculations to rest.
There is no information on what the net worth of Martie Allen is and neither could we find a reputable source about how much her partner, Kristy McNichol earns. Since her retirement, not much has been available about her in the news.
Is Martie Allen related to Kristy Allen or Kristy May?
Kristy Allen or Christie Allen was an English-born Australian pop singer who had a successful career in Australia. She died on 12 August 2008 at 53 and had four hits on the Australian Kent Music Report Singles Chart. She is neither related to Martie Allen nor Kristy McNichol.
Martie Allen personal life
Allen has since stopped pursuing an acting career and her partner McNichol also gave up acting to focus on her health. While McNichol taught acting at a private school in Los Angeles, we could not find out what Allen does at this time.
They both enjoy doing charity work and engage in yoga and other healthy habits. Allen and McNichol have no children together.
For Martie Allen, leading a private life as Kristy McNichol’s partner likely comes with the peaceful bliss that celebrity life would usually rob one of. She is in her early 60s and will no doubt have enjoyed the 25 years she has spent with her spouse.
However, there is no mention of both of them ever being married despite US laws now recognizing same-sex marriages. Most of their lives have been off the prying eyes of the press and it is difficult to provide enough details about them.
You may also like to read our recent article about Natalia Poklonskaya and learn about why she is used as a famous anime and meme character.