Since the protests started a few days ago, more people have taken to the streets in many different states in order to protest and demand an end to the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS).
Many of these people have stories of their experiences with SARS and during these demonstrations, several iconic pictures have been captured, with the story behind them shared on social media.
Below are 10 of such pictures:
- Protesters compile a list of all those who have been allegedly lost to SARS and Police brutality.
— Kaylah (@KaylahOniwo) October 16, 2020
2. A protester holds up the Nigerian flag, alongside signs that read #EndSARS and ‘Reform the Police’.
— Shege Of London ?? (@_ShegeOfLondon) October 16, 2020
3. Muslim faithfuls say their Friday prayers on 16 October, while protesters continue protesting. Behind the men, a lone woman says her prayers as well.
— Man United in Pidgin (@ManUtdInPidgin) October 16, 2020
4. In this viral picture, Aisha Yesufu raises her first to the sky while scores of protesters hold up signs behind her. This picture has been inspiring all week and has been the inspiration for several remakes.
— AuduMaikori (@Audu) October 10, 2020
5. At the protest in Enugu State, a young lady sits on a lion statue with a folded Nigerian flag in her hands, crying. She reportedly lost her three brothers to SARS, killed on the same day and thrown in a well.
At the Enugu Protest today, this young woman who refused to fly the Nigerian flag sat on top of this Lion statue and appeared to be crying.
Who knows who she is?
— Enugu Metropolitan Network #EndSars (@The042Network) October 13, 2020
6. At the protest in Port Harcourt, a man known as DJ Kaka strips to show his pain. He reportedly lost his twin and spent 54 months in prison because of SARS.
We have all stereotyped him.
DJ Kaka, schooled in Ghana. SARS killed his twin, made him spend 54months in prison. Took his car, almost killed him too after they killed his twin.
He was allowed to do his thing in the protest, had such a free spirit that he could share anything. pic.twitter.com/GWlUrnGBFd
— Tammy Halliday (@tammyhalliday_) October 13, 2020
7. Jimoh Isiaq, one of those killed in Ogbomoso. He was standing a short distance away when a stray bullet hit him.
I’m so sorry JIMOH ISIAQ . RIP Champ pic.twitter.com/oqrnpb4Kcf
— EHIZOJIE (@SpecialSlim) October 11, 2020
8. Kiki Mordi arrives at the protest ground on the back of a trailer.
— Dr PamPam | Omo Iya Ologi (@UnclePamilerin) October 11, 2020
9. Protesters cleaning up the protest grounds in Lekki, Lagos State.
Big love to those cleaning up protest areas in Lekki pic.twitter.com/09oXdAJ5OV
— fifo (@TheFifographer) October 12, 2020
10. After a series of attacks on protesters, security men arrive to protect protesters from more attacks.
— POTAM ?? ? (@potam1304_) October 16, 2020