It’s the time to get to know your prospective partner better over good food, drinks and relaxing scenery. However, it is well known that first dates can be nerve-wracking and awkward.
So, it’s better to go armed with a list of questions to ask in case things ever get awkward. It’s important to note, however, that things being awkward does not necessarily mean you’re not good together – it just means you’re not completely comfortable with each other yet.
Some social media users have suggested that, as part of the first date questions, women should be asking men several variations of the same question: “Are you married?”
While we think that is an important thing to get to know about your party, our proposed questions lean more to the side of trying to break the ice during a date that is quickly becoming awkward.
That is why we have compiled this list – to give you choice questions to ask your partner when the conversation lulls during your date.
You need to remember that the purpose of this list is not to barrage your partner with questions, but to lighten the mood and get you both more comfortable with each other.
So, here are some fun, spontaneous questions to ask your partner during a first date that are sure to get the conversation moving more smoothly.
PS: Remember to be adventurous with your answers as well. One-liners are very easy ways to kill conversations.
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- Who is the most interesting person you’ve ever met?
- What would you be doing with your life right now if you had the time and money?
- Do you have a tattoo?
- Do you cook a lot and do you enjoy it?
- Are you a social media person?
- Before this, when was the last time you went on a date?
- Do you date a lot?
- How long was your longest relationship?
- What’s something you’ve always wanted to try?
- Where’s someplace you really want to visit?
- What’s the last book you read?
- Do you listen to podcasts?
- What’s your favourite TV series?
- What was your best year?
- What do you do in your free time?
- What were you like as a child?
- Where is your family from?
- How did your parents meet?
- Which family member are you closest to?
- Do you have any children?
- What’s your schedule like?
- How did you get started in your career?
- On a scale of one to ten, how comfortable are you with your finances?
- Have you ever thought about moving to another country?
- Do you consider yourself career-driven?
- How many siblings do you have?
- What are some things you think everyone should try at least once?
- What small seemingly insignificant decision had a massive impact on your life?
- What would you like to be famous for?
And that’s it! Our top thirty questions for breaking the ice and finding out a lot about your partner.
If you have any more tips to share with us or you don’t agree with anything in this article, let us know in the comments section below.