The Stoke winger Brown costs only £2m and was gotten from Barnsley last week but he showed Wolves’ record signing how to finish, coming off the bench to score his first goal for the Potters.
Silva joined from Porto this month in an astounding record fee and he blew the chance for a debut goal when he fired a glorious opportunity wide in the second half. He and Vitinha were handed their debut, but the game failed to spark during a drab first half.
As it were, Wolves could not replicate their savage start from Monday in which they were 2-0 up in six minutes at Sheffield United.
They lacked incisiveness in front of goal against Stoke in the Carabao Cup on Thursday with boss, Nuno Espirito Santo, visibly frustrated with their laboured attacking build-up.
Stoke City, however, deserved credit for limiting Adama Traore, Vitinha and Silva, and keeping their focus while Wolves made the running.
Thursday 17th September Carabao Cup results
Burnley 1 – 1 Sheffield United (Burnley win 5-4 on penalties)
Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 – 1 Stoke City
Brighton and Hove Albion 4 – 0 Portsmouth
Full Carabao Cup round three draws
Check out the round three ties, which would be played in the week commencing September 21 below:
- Lincoln vs Liverpool
- Bristol City vs Aston Villa
- Morecambe vs Newcastle
- Luton vs Manchester United
- Preston vs Brighton
- Fulham vs Sheffield Wednesday
- Manchester City vs Bournemouth
- Millwall vs Burnley
- Chelsea vs Barnsley
- Stoke vs Gillingham
- Leicester City vs Arsenal
- West Brom vs Brentford
- Newport vs Watford
- Fleetwood vs Everton
- Leyton Orient vs Tottenham Hotspur
- West Ham vs Hull
Carabao Cup round four: Liverpool set up a potential clash against Arsenal in round four
The winner of Liverpool’s Carabao Cup tie against Lincoln City next Thursday will face either Arsenal or Leicester in round four of the competition.
Liverpool would not want to play Arsenal having lost twice to Mikel Arteta’s men recently.
Tottenham Hotspur could also face Chelsea if they each progress past Leyton Orient and Barnsley respectively, while the winner between holders Manchester City and Bournemouth will play either Millwall or Burnley.
Carabao Cup round four draw
- Lincoln or Liverpool vs Leicester City or Arsenal
- Millwall or Burnley vs Manchester City or Bournemouth
- West Brom or Brentford vs Fulham or Sheffield Wednesday
- Fleetwood or Everton vs West Ham or Hull
- Bristol City or Aston Villa vs Stoke or Gillingham
- Leyton Orient or Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea or Barnsley
- Newport or Watford vs Morecambe or Newcastle
- Preston or Brighton vs Luton or Manchester United