Liverpool could not break away from their recent poor run of form as they collapsed at the home of the fierce rivals; now failing to progress beyond the fourth round in five of their six seasons under Jurgen Klopp with the Premier League champions recording just one win in their last seven games in all competitions.
Mohamed Salah found his scoring boots once again, giving the visitors the perfect start with a sublime finish inside 18 minutes but Mason Greenwood pull United level eight minutes later.
Marcus Rashford scored his fourth Old Trafford goal against Liverpool to complete the turnaround but Salah restored parity for Liverpool after running onto Roberto Firmino’s pass.
Bruno Fernandes, however, settled the tie 12 minutes after he was brought on as a substitute with a well-struck free-kick from the edge of the box to set up a fifth-round tie at home to West Ham next month.
Stats and facts from the match (Backed by Opta)
- Manchester United have eliminated Liverpool from the FA Cup proper for the 10th time; in the competition’s history, only Liverpool themselves (12 v Everton) have knocked a particular side out more times (including finals).
- Liverpool have won just one of their last 15 matches at Old Trafford in all competitions (D4 L10), and are winless in their last eight at the ground (D4 L4).
- Manchester United have won each of their last eight home games in the FA Cup; only from 1908 to 1912 have they had a better winning run on home soil in the competition (9 games).
- Liverpool are the first reigning Premier League champion to be eliminated from the FA Cup as early as the fourth round since Manchester City in 2014-15.
- Liverpool have lost back-to-back games in all competitions for the first time since March 2020.
Other FA Cup Fourth Round results
Sunday 24th January
- Chelsea 3-1 Luton Town
- Brentford 1-3 Leicester City
- Fulham 0-3 Burnley
- Manchester United 3-2 Liverpool
- Everton 3-0 Sheffield Wednesday