City dominated the majority of the possession against Spurs who had just 33 percent of the ball with just four shots to City’s 22.
However, Jose Mourinho‘s side ran away with the victory against his rival Pep Guardiola in a clinical smash-and-grab show at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Spurs quickly took the lead as early as in the 5th minute of the game as Son slid the ball under Ederson from the edge of the box after an over the top ball from Tanguy Ndombele. It was also Tottenham’s only shot on goal in the first 59 minutes of the game.
The second came in the 65th minute as Harry Kane found Giovani Lo Celso to finish under Ederson again just 35 seconds after coming on.
The result means Mourinho celebrates one year at Spurs with his side sitting atop the Premier League for 24 hours at least.
As for City, their poor start to the Premier League season continues, sitting 10th with just 12 points from eight games.
Watch the match highlights below
Stats and facts from the match (Backed by Opta)
- Tottenham have won back-to-back league games against Man City for the first time since a run of three between September 2015-October 2016.
- Tottenham Hotspur will finish a day top of the Premier League table for the first time since August 2014 (24th to the 29th), while it’s the first time they’ll end a day top of the top-flight after at least nine games into a season since 11th January 1985.
- 12 points from eight games mark Manchester City’s lowest points total at this stage of a Premier League campaign since 2008-09 (10), while their 10 goals scored is their lowest after eight games since 2006-07 (6).
- Tottenham’s Harry Kane has provided nine assists in his nine Premier League games this season, more than any other player in the division. Indeed, Kane had provided just eight assists in his previous three league campaigns combined (94 games).
Saturday 21st November
- Newcastle United 0-2 Chelsea
- Aston Villa 1-2 Brighton and Hove Albion
- Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Manchester City
- Manchester United 1-0 West Bromwich Albion