For the first time since World War II, the Championships were cancelled the summer of 2020 because of the pandemic and the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) is planning for several scenarios to avoid a repeat in 2021.
Reports have it that the AELTC had been seemingly reluctant to stage Wimbledon without fans next year but the success of the US Open and other sporting events have contributed to changing their opinion.
In a statement released on Friday, it was confirmed that ‘full capacity’, ‘reduced capacity’, and ‘behind closed doors’ scenarios are under consideration for the tournament, which is scheduled to begin on 28 June 2021.
Sally Bolton, the Chief executive says: “Staging the Championships in 2021 is our number one priority and we are actively engaged in scenario planning in order to deliver on that priority.”
The AELTC also said that it will not stop in its provision of support to the local community amid the pandemic. The Wimbledon-based Wingfield Kitchen is providing 200 hot meals a day to those in need up until Christmas in its new commitments to the community.
Meanwhile, 30,000 towels that were intended for use during the 2020 championships have been distributed for alternative use, with 5,000 going to the British Red Cross for refugee projects and 2,400 to homelessness charity crisis.
“Since the cancellation of The Championships 2020, we have worked hard to make a difference to those in our local community and beyond as the coronavirus continues to have a significant impact on people’s lives,” says Ian Hewitt of AELTC.
“We are particularly delighted to see the 2020 towels being put to good use across such a variety of incredibly important causes.”