The rumours that Money Heist Season 5 will air on 5 April 2021 has proven to be false, but when does Netflix say it will release the new season of the anticipated series? The answer is that the production studio and streaming platform have not said anything.
Perusing its Twitter handle, the last tweet about Money Heist by Netflix was this, and it came in January 2021:
@Sercibaa Money Heist, Locked Up, Perdida
— Netflix (@netflix) January 1, 2021
They had taken to their account to announce Season 4 (or Season 2: Part 2) in April 2020. Since then, the company has been focused on several other projects.
After its first two-part season aired on Spanish network Antena in 2017, Netflix bought its streaming rights and, later, its filming rights. It renewed it for a second season which was not part of the initial plan.
The cliff-hanger ending of the fourth part birthed the show’s fifth part, rumoured to be its final one. Fans cannot wait for what happens next after Lisbon rejoins the gang within the bank, and Sierra finds the Professor’s hideout, holding him at gunpoint.
While Netflix has not said anything about Money Heist Season 5 release date, we found several news about it. We have arranged them into a timeline sequence to make it easy to follow.
Latest news about Money Heist Season 5
- October 2019: Spanish daily newspapers ABC and La Vanguardia re-reported claims by the Spanish website formulatv.com that Netflix had renewed the series for a fifth part, and that pre-production had already begun.
- November 2019: La Vanguardia quoted director Jesús Colmenar’s statement “That there is going to be a fifth [part] can be said”, and that the new part would be filmed after Vancouver Media’s new project Sky Rojo, which Alex Pina, Money Heist’s creator, also created. Additionally, the director claimed that a spin-off of the series was also being discussed.
- December 2019: Confidentiality contracts prevent Pina and producer Martinez Lobato from saying more to the press, their only cryptic message was; “Someone knows there will be [a part 5], but we don’t,” according to ABC.
- July 2020: Netflix makes a widely publicised announcement that Money Heist Season 5 is coimng and it will be its last. It added that Miguel Ángel Silvestre from Sense8 and Narcos series will join the cast as well as Patrick Criado of La gran familia española film. Alex Pina is to act as executive producer and showrunner with Jesús Colmenar Cristina López Ferraz also set as exec producers. Javier Gómez Santander (head writer), Migue Amodeo (Director of Photography) and Esther Martínez-Lobato are also co-producing with Colmenar, Koldo Serra and Álex Rodrigo directing.
- November 2020: Netflix announced that Money Heist will be getting a Korean adaptation condensed into a 12-part production. According to a Variety report, Kim Hong-sun, director of TV dramas like “The Guest,” “Voice” and “Black,” will direct the show’s Korean version. BH Entertainment and Contents Zium will work with Netflix on the production while Ryu Yong-jae and his team will be its screenwriters.
There are other rumours that Netflix will release Money Heist Season 5 in August 2021 after its initial plan of dropping it in April failed because of release congestion caused by the pandemic.
What to expect …
Mystery only builds the anticipation, and for a series that is as protected as Money Heist, we do not expect that there will be spoiler leaks unless it is intentional.
But, viewers should expect a more explosive finale as the recent season has shown. The director Alex Pina also hinted at this in a statement about putting the elusive Professor within the law’s reach.
“We’ve spent almost a year thinking about how to break up the band. How to put the Professor on the ropes,” he revealed. “How to get into situations that are irreversible for many characters. The result is the fifth part of La Casa de Papel.”
He also adds that it could get bloody, “The war reaches its most extreme and savage levels, but it is also the most epic and exciting season.”
The show and its casts have been winning awards since it gained international popularity and it has the Platino Awards, Spanish Actors Union, Internationa Emmy Awards, and several others in its trophy cabinet.