Kanye West has been sharing a number of tweets in recent times that have caused people to start to worry about his mental health.
Weeks after he announced his intention to run for the position of the president of the United States of America, Kanye West held a rally in South Carolina.
During this rally, the rapper spoke about a lot of things, alleging that Harriet Tubman did not actually free slaves and made them work for other white people instead.
He also broke down during the rally, saying that they almost aborted their first child, North West. He also took to Twitter to share a series of opinions about his family, alleging that Kim cheated on him and he has been trying to divorce her.
This follows Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith’s Red Table Talk where Jada admitted to having an affair with August Alsina. In the video, Will’s eyes were very red, as if he had been crying for a while.
These interactions have now brought to light the topic of mental health awareness, especially concerning black men.
In recent years, studies have found that more men all over the world are silently suffering from mental health illnesses and sometimes resorting to suicide.
So, in light of this, it is important for everyone to become aware of the little known details of men’s mental health.
- Men have mental health issues: This might seem like an obvious fact considering that it should be common knowledge, but it needs repeating.
Men are usually conditioned to be ‘tough’ all the time so that sometimes, people can think they don’t have mental health issues. This is false.
2. Mental health has a direct impact on physical health: It has been found that mental health issues have a direct impact on physical health, whether in men or in women.
A mental health breakdown can adversely affect how your body reacts and recovers from things that happen to you.
3. Gambling is a sign of mental illness: Gambling has been linked to mental health issues and people who gamble have been found to suffer from mental health illnesses like depression, anxiety and substance use problems.
Now, not everyone who gambles has a mental health disorder, but there is a high chance that a huge percentage of people who gamble do struggle with this.
4. Working obsessively without taking breaks is also a sign of mental illness: Working obsessively or constantly doing a lot of exercises can be linked to mental illnesses.
It can be a way of distracting oneself from the issues at hand but, of course, doing this will not solve the problem.
5. Men sometimes have more mental issues than women: Because these issues are usually overlooked, it is hard to know when a man is going through mental health issues.
Women, on the other hand, can be more open about these issues and know how to find solutions for themselves. So, men’s mental health issues can be underrepresented.
At any time of the year, there is a pressing need to look out for mental health issues in everyone, but during the pandemic, people are going through a lot.
Many have lost their jobs, family members, and are struggling mentally during this period. So, we have to be especially kind and look out for ourselves and each other.
Which os these facts about mental illness did you already know? How will you start looking out for yourself and others with these tips? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.