If you are holding on to resentment, you need to learn to let go especially for your own self because whoever it is that hurt you is most likely out there, living their own life.
Of course, forgiveness is not a straightforward process. There are so many twists and turns on the long road to unburdening your heart of the bitterness that results from a grudge.
But you know what? It is entirely possible to effectively get over your past hurt, forgive those who hurt you and lighten the load on your chest.
To be honest, there are too many other things to worry about in life than to constantly think about people that have hurt you. Take a page from Will Smith’s book and be more open to forgiveness.
Here are five ways you can effectively forgive, forget and move on from hurt.
- Understand that forgiving someone does not mean that you are weak or stupid.
- The fact that you forgave someone for hurting you does not mean that you have to reconcile with them ever again.
- Remind yourself that people are different and this difference informs their decisions.
- Ensure that you process all your emotions so that there are no remainders to torture you after.
- Breathe and let go of the hurt.
Ultimately, the entire process is for you primarily. Don’t try to make forgetting your goal because you need the wisdom from this interaction for future relationships.
As you apply lessons learnt, however, it is important to not let bad relationships close you off from the world. Leave yourself open but approach situations wisely and with inner clarity.
Did this advice help you to deal with any lingering hurt you have from a past or current relationship? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.