For Manchester United, all eyes will be on Bruno Fernandes while Jurgen Klopp will be under scrutiny as Liverpool will be missing key figures at the back.
Since Bruno Fernandes arrived at Old Trafford about a year ago, Manchester United have upgraded their performances and results. They have won a total of 68 points since his debut, more than any other team in the League. Additionally, the Portuguese midfielder has been directly involved in 33 goals for the club in the competition.
Thus, a fit Fernandes will pose a threat to Liverpool. Even Jurgen Klopp admitted to him being a ‘ difference maker’. A win for Manchester United will see them extend their lead over Liverpool by six points.
But Liverpool are not without a bite as well. While the team suffer defensively, their attack is still dangerous. Mane, Salah and Firminho will just have to find their cohesion and precision again in this game.
Otherwise, they are at risk of slipping to fifth if Manchester City beats Crystal and Everton defeats Aston Villa. The Premier League table is quite competitive at the top at this time.
Leicester are a point behind Manchester United and even a draw with Liverpool puts them within touching distance and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will not like that. While the manager claims that his team are not title favourites, winning it will definitely earn him deserved praise.
Liverpool vs Manchester United Opta stats
- This will be Liverpool manager Klopp’s 200th Premier League game in charge – he has won 127 of his 199 games so far, with only Jose Mourinho winning more of his first 200 in the competition’s history (137).
- Klopp is also the 10th manager to reach 200 top-flight games for Liverpool, with the German winning more of his first 200 than any of his predecessors.
- United have won none of their three league games against Liverpool with Solskjær as manager (D2 L1) – the only two Red Devils managers to fail to win their first four league games against Liverpool are John Chapman (1921-26) and Tommy Docherty (1973-76).
- Liverpool had eight shots on target in their 7-0 victory at Crystal Palace last month (14 shots in total). In their three league games since, the Reds have managed just seven shots on target (from 45 in total), netting just one goal.
- United have had just 77 shots in their last 11 Premier League games against Liverpool, failing to register double figures for attempts since December 2014 (11). At Anfield, the Red Devils haven’t had as many as 10 shots since September 2013 under David Moyes (10).
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has doubt about Anthony Martial after he suffered a hamstring injury against Burnley. Brandon Williams and Phil Jones are confirmed out.
Liverpool vs Manchester United prediction
With Thiago, Henderson and Wijnaldum, Liverpool may be able to rival United’s midfield of McTominay, Pogba and Fernandes.
Upfront, the attack also seems to fairly weigh against each other.
Verdict: Liverpool 1-1 Manchester United